JBK expansion nearing the finish line

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

The Jack B. Kelley Student Center expansion is close to reaching the end. Come November, the newly renovated JBK will be open to students and will reveal its new additions.

The JBK has served as a central meeting and resting place for students over the years.

“Often times the student center is considered the living room on campus,” said Chance Haugen, director of the Jack B. Kelley Student Center. “Consequently, I believe that the expansion will provide a great place for students to hang out.”

This expansion will include five additional meeting rooms, all with smart room technology. Some familiar features of the JBK, such as Legends, will still be a part of the JBK but will be used for different purposes.

One of the biggest changes to be made will be the addition of Legacy Hall. This large room will be able to host small concerts, conferences and other events.

“Student groups, departments, and community members will be excited to use Legacy Hall and all the meeting rooms,” said Haugen. “In the past, the JBK has had very limited facilities for special events. The expansion will surely provide a great space for those events right in the middle of campus.”

Adding all of the new features to the JBK is being done in hopes of providing comfort and access to students.

“The expansion will greatly benefit the student body by bringing many new places to meet, mingle, and grow,” said Nick Goettsche, Student Body President. “Another new feature that I’m very excited about is the Student Senate Chamber. It is a three-tiered room designed to allow the participants to get the most out of their meetings.”

The new expansion has students excited and ready to put the new and improved JBK to use.

“I think the expansion of the JBK is a great thing for our university, especially for us students and student organizations,” said Kimber Kiker, a freshman Agriculture Media and Communications major.

More information and pictures of the expansion are available at the JBK student center Facebook page.