The benefits of living on the WTAMU campus

The Prairie.

The Prairie.

Hunter Fithen

With the second semester swiftly approaching, WTAMU Residential Living is encouraging students who do not already live on campus to consider doing so in the near future.

According to the Residential Living page on WT’s website, some of the advantages of living on campus are that students tend to earn higher grade point averages, are more likely to graduate in four years, have a higher retention rate than those living off campus, and are more satisfied with their overall college experience.

“I think students do better in school when they live on campus, and they also have more of a social life,” Derek Swander, freshman Civil Engineering major, said.

WT currently has 10 residence halls which house approximately 1,800 undergraduate and graduate students, and will be adding the new Founders Hall in the fall of 2013. Founders will feature air-conditioned rooms, multiple study lounges, a game lounge, and wireless internet. It will be WT’s largest and most state-of-the-art residence hall to date, capable of housing 400 new residents.

“I think living on campus is great because you are more connected with people and organizations, and you don’t have to worry as much about parking,” Amanda Grimes, junior Math major, said. “You also have better, faster access to campus resources.”

Studies show that college students who live on campus have a variety of advantages available to them as opposed to students who do not, according to David Wilson, assistant director of Residence Life.

“All of your expenses are paid for when living on campus, and your charges won’t change,” Wilson said. “Living on campus allows you to learn both inside and outside of the classroom by meeting people and getting connected with groups and events. Students living on campus also have access to 24 hour staff who are trained to help them with any problems that may arise.”
There are particular exemptions allowing students to live off campus, and while they may succeed in college life they may still be missing out on some great opportunities.

“The big thing I would say to encourage someone to live on campus would be that you can develop a connection to the University and to other students that you’re not going to find anywhere else,” Wilson said. “You’re going to learn life lessons and how to work with others, and make lifelong friends and memories that will stay with you throughout your life.”

• The benefits of living on the WTAMU campus

Editorials

Let’s Talk About Summer

Editorials

Conquer the Fear of Missing Out

News

Department of Agriculture Sciences Accepts Donations for Fire Victims

• News

News One Reports

Showcase

Baseball Looks to Build Off Strong Week at Tarleton

News

Student Body Presidential Candidate: Chandler Huddleston

News

Student Body Presidential Candidate: Rigo Baeza

News

Student Body Presidential Candidate: Julianna Calvaruso

News

Student Body Vice Presidential Candidate: Micah Davidson

News

Student Body Vice Presidential Candidate: Lindsey O’Neal