The Hunger Project feeds community

Student Organization Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

The Hunger Project is a world organization that seeks to address world hunger in Africa, India and Latin America by empowering women in local communities. At West Texas A&M University, Dr. Bonnie MacDonald, head of the English, Philosophy and Modern Language department and also a Professor in Western American Literature, has begun a student organization called Feel Good.

Twenty-five other universities across the United States hold Feel Good chapter memberships and all want to “[end] world hunger one grilled cheese sandwich at a time,” according to the Feel Good website.

The WT chapter hopes to set up their own grilled cheese deli on campus once or twice every month and people who get a sandwich are asked to donate what they can. The proceeds are sent back to The Hunger Project.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are not the only thing being served by WT’s Feel Good chapter. Members of the organization also plan to serve others by volunteering with Mariposa Eco Village. The chapter members hope to serve grilled cheese to the community at the opening of Mariposa’s Greenhouse, located off of Washington St. in Amarillo, according to Toby Lankford, who works for the Mariposa community land trust.

“We spend so much time with our noses in books that it is nice to interact with people and show that we are more than just students,” Jacquelene Bayless, senior English major and volunteer for Feel Good, said.

Feel Good is not only an organization, but also an internship course taught by MacDonald with readings about world hunger.

“This class is meant to be a means of connecting community members and community organizations with student work and study here on campus,” MacDonald said.