Lady Buffs triumph against Angelo State

Sophomore Chontiquah White drives the lane against ASU. Photo by Cale Bloskas.

Avenging an early season heartbreaker to the Rambelles earlier in the 2012-2013 campaign, the Lady Buffs evened its season series with ASU with a 54-48 victory this past Saturday. Despite the slow start by both squads, the Lady Buffs were able to cruise early on before having to hold off Angelo State in the final minutes.

Sophomore forward Chontiquah White led the Lady Buffs with 16 points while fellow sophomore Jordan Vessels hauled in 10 points to aid in the winning cause.  With these efforts and a strong first half, the Lady Buffs used a 14-7 run and a strong defensive stand to keep the Rambelles to a 13 point first half.  However, led by Jennifer Lapp’s 15 points and Haylee Oliver’s 10 points, Angelo State used a 30-20 comeback to put the Rambelles within three with over four minutes left to go in the contest.

It was then that Lady Buff junior guard Raven Gerald sank a huge three pointer to avoid a potential tie ballgame. This prompted the desperate Rambelles to foul and rely on WT missing charity points from the stripe. To put the game away, the Lady Buffs made seven free throws to keep the game out of Angelo State’s reach.

With the victory, the Lady Buffs regain their recent winning ways with an 8-5 Lone Star Conference record and improve to 12-10 on the year. The Rambelles stumble to an 8-11 overall tally and drop to 5-8 in Lone Star competition.

Continuing with the second leg of their two-game home stretch, the Lady Buffs return to the First United Bank Center for a Pink Out game on Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. as they host the Mustangs of Midwestern State.

• Junior Raven Gerald attempts a free throw. Photo by Cale Blosakas.

• Sophomore Chontiquah White drives the lane against ASU. Photo by Cale Bloskas.