Tech Club hosts a gaming tournament

Entertainment Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

WTAMU’s Tech Club will host its first spring gaming tournament on April 6 in room 209 of the Classroom Center.

“We were pretty well known for the fall tournament, but we decided to extend them to spring,” David Lister, sophomore CIS major and treasurer of the Tech Club, said.

In the tournament, students will have the chance to compete against each other on a number of different console games including Black Ops 2 on Xbox, Gears of War: Judgment also on Xbox, Mortal Combat 9 on PS3 and Super Smash Brothers on Wii.

The tournament will be double elimination style with six people competing at a time. The top three will advance, except for Super Smash Brothers, which will have the top two advancing.

“This semester we have a new tournament layout,” James Schmidt, senior CIS major and president of the Tech Club, said. “Last tournament there was stress, but this time we are doing things differently. There was a lot of waiting before, but now there will be more playing and less waiting.”

The Department of Computer Information and Decision Management and Hastings Entertainment will be sponsoring the tournament this year.

“They are providing prizes for winners,” Schmidt said. “I can’t say the exact amount of the prize, but I’ve seen the goody bag and it is quite good.”

Prizes and bragging rights are all up for grabs during the tournament and already have students getting into the competitive spirit, including junior CIS major Miles Prugle, who has his sight set on smashing the competition.
“I plan to smash at Super Smash Brothers,” Prugle said.

The cost of the tournament will be $5 per player and food will be provided for the participants. The first game will start at 12 p.m.

For more information on the tournament, students can text “Follow@wttechclub” to 40404.