Shack-A-Thon 5.0 is back in action

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

On April 17-18 students across the campus of WT will collaborate together to help fight hunger in the Kenyan region of Turkana.

Shack-A-thon and Give-A-Goat, which starts at 8 a.m. April 17, is an event put on by the five ministries on WT campus, including Buffs for Christ, Baptist Student Ministry, Catholic Student Center, Navigators and The Wesley. The event’s purpose is to raise funds to purchase goats milk and meat for the people of Turkana.

“I just hope a lot of people come out and raise money this year, because this event is all about awareness for a serious need,” Jonathan Picker, a senior Biochemistry major, said.

Not only are student ministries at WT participating in Shack-A-Thon but other organizations are taking part in it as well. Ali Eagle, a senior Math major, is in charge of Cousins Hall’s Shack.

“The night before we start building our shack I will go around asking for donations from people in our dorm and then bring it the next day to contribute to the cause,” Eagle said. “It’s fun, and I enjoy participating in an event with such a great cause.”

The shacks that organizations are building range in theme, from Cousins Hall “There’s no place like home” to the Navigators Hobbit Hole. WT President Dr. Patrick O’Brien will be the judge of the best shack and donations will be accepted throughout the day.

“This is our fifth year to do this event,” Blaze Diamond, a junior Music major and Navigators shack coordinator, said “In total we have raised over $65,000 since we’ve started Shack-A-Thon and Give-A-Goat.”