Dorm regulations to change

Alex Gonazalez

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

New information that some on campus dorms will be increasing in price for the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 semesters, is not boding well with some students, who are prompting an immediate dislike to the change.

“It’s something new, so of course, students are kind of freaking out about it,” Lindsey Steele, a graduating senior and hall area coordinator, said.

The University has four “tiers” of dorms now. The lowest tier of dorms, which will now cost $3,300 for the entire year, consists of the older dorms, which aren’t equipped with air conditioning. Cousins and Stafford have received a slight increase of three percent to match up with the cost of Jarrett.

The second tier of dorms, Cross, Guenther, Jones and Shirley, will be $3,810 for a full academic year. Aside from Shirley and Guenther, each have received an approximate three percent increase as well. Cross and Jones will be staying at the same price as of now.

The third tier will consist of the new dorms, Centennial and Founders, which will both be at the current price. The last tier will be Buff at $7,240 as they have suites, and Connor, which has private rooms that will be $4,720.

Along with a price increase, there have also been a few requirement changes for living on and off campus for incoming freshmen as well. In the past, in order to live off campus, students needed to have at least 60 credit hours or be 21 years old. However, with the changes, the multiple duel credit hours that some students come in to WT with, will not count, and only the credits acquired while they are at WT will.

“I support both the changes because I think residence halls are a great place to interact, and make friends,” Ronnie Hall, an area coordinator, said. “Also retention rates prove better for students who choose to live on campus and get involved.”

According to Senior Director of Residential Living Jon Behrens, the change is strictly business.

“We’ve opened up three new halls in the last seven years,” Behrens said. “It’s a business thing. The dorms need to get paid off.”

He also said that retention rate was better for students who lived on campus.

“If a student gets involved with organizations on campus and comes to love it, chances are they will work hard to stay in school in order to continue to be a apart of,” Behrens said.

As prices increase, and credit requirement change, agreements for dorm living will now be for a full academic year, instead of just semesters as previously done.
“Most schools do a nine month agreement anyway,” Behrens said.

For the new housing agreement the payment plan will be divided. Sixty percent of payment is due in the fall while 40 percent is due in the spring, as there are usually more students in the fall than in the spring.

• Dorm regulations to change

Opinion

Take a Moment to Breathe During Finals Week

• Dorm regulations to change

News

WTAMU Storytelling Festival to Feature Native American Teller Eldrena Douma

• Dorm regulations to change

Editorials

Reach Out

• Dorm regulations to change

News

Laura Lopez Speaks of Leadership

• Dorm regulations to change

Blogs

Three years since the Sewol-ho Ferry

• Dorm regulations to change

Editorials

Choose Growth, Follow Passions in Class Registration

• Dorm regulations to change

Entertainment

Undertaker: The Final Bell Tolls

• Dorm regulations to change

Editorials

Welcome to the Panhandle

• Dorm regulations to change

Editorials

Persevere Through It All

• Dorm regulations to change

Entertainment

Ape Escape – Full Review

Dorm regulations to change