Recruitment week and change at WT

Feature Story. Art by Chris Brockman.
Feature Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

As freshmen begin their first few weeks at WTAMU, many are rushing to different organizations to find where they can become connected. Some students will find their place in Greek life, and this year fraternities and sororities improved the recruitment process.

“Instead of promoting individual chapters we are promoting ‘Go Greek,’” Inter-Fraternity recruitment counselor Edward Akinyemi said. “With ‘Go Greek’, we are trying to tell people to go out there and test your feet in the water, and we promote Greek life as opposed to promoting individual chapters.”

Greek life has also made other changes as well to simplify the recruitment process.

“For the fraternities we have combined with the sororities to have one recruitment week,” Akinyemi said. “It used to be sororities get the second week and the fraternities get the third week, however this year we have brought more hype to the freshmen by combining both weeks into one week.”

All of the recruitment activities have also been made more accessible to freshmen.

“This year we have moved all of the recruitment events on campus so more students have the opportunity to go to these events,” said recruitment committee member Casandra Ruiz.

Ruiz believes it is important to make these events accessible to students so that they get connected.

“The experience of recruitment gets you involved on campus and allows you to meet new people, especially for incoming freshmen. I think it’s a really great thing, and a way to get connected. In my experience joining a sorority helped me stay on campus,” said Ruiz.

According to Brianna Griswold, each fraternity and sorority values the recruitment experience.

“This year our sorority is focusing on the whole aspect of going Greek in general. It’s really important for us to have as many girls sign up and for as many to have the opportunity to go through rush as possible,” Griswold, junior Advertising and Public Relations major, said.

With meeting new people comes nerves as well. Griswold has some words of wisdom for those who go through recruitment.

“When people say it’s rush week, it really is a rush. That’s the feeling you get. I think that the girls are a lot of times really nervous, but we try to let them know we are just as nervous because we are, because we’re meeting them and they’re meeting us.  We also give them the insight that we’ve been in their shoes and it’s perfectly fine to be nervous,” Griswold said.