Homecoming Game Preview

Matthew Watkins

Sports Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

Sports Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

The No. 4 WTAMU Buffalo football team will host the Central State Marauders for Homecoming 2013 at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium in Canyon on Oct. 5. For those who may be wondering whom Central State is and where they’re from, here is some helpful information.

CSU is located in Wilberforce, Ohio. The Marauders are members of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, which is a part of Division II just like the Lone Star Conference, after moving from the Great Lakes Valley Conference this season. CSU is 0-3 so far this season after finishing 4-6 with a 4-4 mark in the GLVC in 2012.

The Marauders’ highest point total this season is 20 against Morehouse College two weeks ago. Two opponents, Benedict College and Morehouse, each scored 42 points for the highest total against CSU thus far.

As a team in 2012, the Marauders averaged 23 points a game while giving up 34 points per game. CSU piled up 1133 passing yards last season and 579 rushing yards for a total of 1712 yards for their offense. Senior quarterback Michael Wilson threw for 1031 of those yards and rushed for another 414 of them.

Wilson was 79 out of 166 passing for 48 percent with 1031 yards and 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. Wilson was also the leading rusher, carrying the ball 61 times for a total of 414 yards and four touchdowns. Senior Jeremy Turner had 21 catches for 330 yards and two scores to lead all receivers, while senior Steven Heard caught 21 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns.

Head Coach E.J. Junior III will lead CSU into Canyon to play the Buffs. Junior has coached the Marauders since 2009.  He was also an All-American linebacker for the Alabama Crimson Tide under Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant and a first round selection in the 1981 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Cardinals.

• Homecoming Game Preview

Editorials

Seeing Past the Filters

• Homecoming Game Preview

Features

Nursing Students Commit Toward Careers

• Homecoming Game Preview

Editorials

Let’s Talk About Summer

• Homecoming Game Preview

Editorials

Conquer the Fear of Missing Out

• Homecoming Game Preview

News

Department of Agriculture Sciences Accepts Donations for Fire Victims

• News

News One Reports

• Homecoming Game Preview

Showcase

Baseball Looks to Build Off Strong Week at Tarleton

• Homecoming Game Preview

News

Student Body Presidential Candidate: Chandler Huddleston

• Homecoming Game Preview

News

Student Body Presidential Candidate: Rigo Baeza

• Homecoming Game Preview

News

Student Body Presidential Candidate: Julianna Calvaruso

Homecoming Game Preview