WT hosts Art of the New West in campus Gallery

Patrons congregate during the art exhibition. Photo by Sterling Rusher.

“Art of the New West” is a contemporary art show that came to WTAMU on Oct. 17 and debuted in Mary Moody Gallery. The art gallery is a joint effort with Process Art House to represent and support the local art community within the Amarillo area. Illuminated by spotlight, the assortment of artwork from students, faculty, and outside artists hung on walls or sat on top of square white pillars spread throughout the gallery.

“Sculpture work speaks to me the most,” Clayton Spaulding, Senior glass major, said.

Spaulding notes that as a whole, art is about personal preference.

“Some [art] we just get and others we don’t!” Lauren Turner, freshman theatre education major, said.

Turner discussed each piece with her friend, Caleb Summers, a freshman theatre performance major. Summers adds while standing by a painting splashed with bright colors, that sometimes onlookers don’t know how to look at the art.

There was only one display of blown glass in the gallery. According to the archivist of the WT Art Department, Corinne Holloway, blown glass is a rarity.

“In the U.S. glass was commercialized. Because of that, glass is not seen as fine art sculpture,” Holloway, said.

She also says that glass is starting to be more widely recognized as art, especially in the Midwest.

“There will be two more really good shows at the end of the semester,” Halloway, said. “It’s free to go, and there is free food too.”

A sculpture on display in Mary Moody Northen Hall. Photo by Sterling Rusher.