One Sessions hosts local band Deep Diver

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

The WTAMU One Sessions will be filming in high defintion a live musical production at the Fine Arts Complex’s AT&T HD Studio on Nov. 14 at 7pm. The performance will be done by a local Amarillo group called Deep Diver. Three brothers, Steven, Matt, and Josh Dolezal formed Deep Diver during the summer of 2010. Deep Diver is mainly a pop/rock band that is influenced by a diverse group of bands such as Jimmy Eat World, Journey, Pearl Jam and Elton John.

To promote Deep Diver’s performance for One Sessions, the Dolezal brothers were guests on WT’s radio station, 91.1 The One on Nov. 7. During Top 21, the previously unreleased, and unheard even by the Dolezals, finished track of White Foxes was played over the air.

“It’s [White Foxes] the most rock song on the record, but has some catchy pop style vocals too,” Steven Dolezal said.

“This will be our maiden voyage, into doing a live video recording. Luckily we’ve been rehearsing and the camera crew has come a few times,” Steven said when asked if they have ever done a live recording. “It will be completely new for us.”

Although the Dolezals have never done a live recording, a behind the scenes camera record Deep Diver during practice. The hope is that rehearsals with the camera crew will acclimate the Dolezals to being recorded by camera before the live recording on Nov 14.

Deep Diver also performed a set at the local Canyon coffee shop, the Palace Coffee Company on Nov. 8.  Palace was packed with people coming to support and listen to Deep Diver. All the seats were taken leaving many standing around the walls and in the hallway to watch the performance. According to Steven Dolezal, the set is slightly similar to what will be played for the live recording.

“I love the atmosphere of Palace,” Matt Dolezal said.

A live recording might be new for Deep Diver, but the One Sessions crews – set design, lights, camera, and audio – are ready. Student volunteers run all of the One Session crews. While volunteering, students get the opportunity to learn about the broadcasting industry and get hands on experience with professional gear.

One Sessions regularly submits final productions of each semester’s show to organizations like the National Broadcasting Society. Last fall, One Sessions submitted a production to nationals and won the Bronze Telly Award.

“It’s very prestigious,” Lance Wells, production manager, said. “It’s almost like winning a Grammy, only for college kids.”

After winning the Telly award, Wells had an internship with Covenant Recording. During the internship at Covenant, Wells met Deep Diver and asked the Dolezals to play for One Sessions.

“It’s a family event,” Wells said. “They [student crews] can show their parents what they are doing.”

Seats for the performance are free but are limited to 50 guests due to decorations and design of the set.