Using technology in higher education

The Prairie Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.

There are certain items essential to a college student’s success. Most of these items can be on the pricey side – textbooks, meal plans and normal supplies. One thing that rarely leaves a college kid’s side is a smart phone, tablet or laptop.

These technological devices are often what students depend on to get their work done. Some students are no longer taking hand written notes and rely solely on a voice recorder or typed notes on a laptop or tablet. Many find that they can type faster than they can write.

Universities across the country are keeping up with these trends by offering iPads to enrolled students. This can be a major selling point for students scoping out which university they want to attend. Though WTAMU doesn’t supply each student with a tablet, they have kept up with their fair share of spreading the technology wealth. Recently the tech store on campus has opened, allowing students to purchase a variety of devices including Apple products and Kindles.

Many students find it more convenient to have their text- books digitally as to not carry as much around in their backpacks. These devices still allow students to annotate texts and make notes virtually. Unknown words can be defined right at the fingertips of the students. Digital books can sometimes even be cheaper than purchasing a hard copy.

Though tuition at the schools that offer tablets to students who are enrolled can be higher than that of WT, it could be beneficial for administration to consider providing students with these means of technology upon enrollment. By providing these tablets, students could reduce college costs elsewhere like having to by every textbook in hard copy form or simply just buying paper and pens to take notes on.

Most students prefer to do things digitally, and staying up to date with current forms of technology can be beneficial for life after graduation. Many companies are now providing employees with tablets to do day -to- day work.

If technology can be integrated into the classroom by allowing students to have tablets, the learning environment and experience of using such devices could be beneficial for both faculty, staff and students in a higher learning institution as well as the work force after leaving said institution.

• Using technology in higher education

Opinion

Take a Moment to Breathe During Finals Week

• Using technology in higher education

News

WTAMU Storytelling Festival to Feature Native American Teller Eldrena Douma

• Using technology in higher education

Editorials

Reach Out

• Using technology in higher education

News

Laura Lopez Speaks of Leadership

• Using technology in higher education

Blogs

Three years since the Sewol-ho Ferry

• Using technology in higher education

Editorials

Choose Growth, Follow Passions in Class Registration

• Using technology in higher education

Entertainment

Undertaker: The Final Bell Tolls

• Using technology in higher education

Editorials

Welcome to the Panhandle

• Using technology in higher education

Editorials

Persevere Through It All

• Using technology in higher education

Entertainment

Ape Escape – Full Review

Using technology in higher education