Upcoming events for Choir and Music

Local. Art by Chris Brockman.
Local. Art by Chris Brockman.

Musically inclined students at WTAMU have a variety of options at their disposal when looking for live music events, both on and off campus.

The Department of Music hosts a large number of events composed of student recitals, faculty recitals and guest musicians in Northen Hall and the Fine Arts Center throughout the year, and other local venues host musicians featuring a variety of styles.

On Feb. 17 an ambient rock group by the name of Lehnen will perform at 9:00 p.m. in The 806 coffee lounge in Amarillo. A folk/indie musician, Glenn Martin, will also play at the 806 on Feb. 18 and will also start at 9:00 p.m.

The WT Choir Concert will be held on Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the Northen Recital Hall. This will be both an entertaining show and a good way to show support for the School of Music. The next night, Feb. 21, the Coltrane Combo will be performing at Palace Coffee in Canyon and Southern Rock group Buggaboo will perform in the 806. Both of these performances will begin at 9:00 p.m.

On Feb. 22, a Progressive Rock group called Autonomics will perform at the 806 at 9:00 p.m. This will round out the upcoming shows at local coffee shops.

Also on Feb. 22, the Symphonic and Concert band concerts will be held at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. respectively. Both of these concerts will be held in the NRH. These ensembles perform a concert every semester and always put on a good show for their audience. The NRH will also host the Brock McGuire Band on Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m.

The Showcase of Music, featuring WT students, will be held on Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. at the Amarillo Globe News Center. Many music students at the university spend countless hours every year to prepare for this show, and they never fail to impress the audience.

The WT Composition Recital is one of the most interesting shows on campus, as it features pieces composed and performed by students in the School of Music. It is a great way for these students to show their multiple talents and skills. This show will be held on March 6 in the NRH and will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Finishing up the upcoming concerts is the Harrington String Quartet, a premier ensemble in the area. Their show will be on March 7 beginning at 7:30 p.m. and will be held in Westminster Presbyterian Church in Amarillo.

These various shows and concerts are a good way for students to broaden their musical and cultural horizons. There are plenty of options when it comes to local shows and these groups never disappoint.