Spring break, skipping vs. extending: Skipping Spring Break

Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.
Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.

Most college students live for spring break, counting down the days until swimsuits and vacations, but not me. Spring break is not something I look forward to.

I know I’m not a normal college student in thinking this but it totally throws me off my game. By the time spring break rolls around, I have a schedule and I have it down to an art. I know exactly how long I can put off homework assignments and when I have time to squeeze in last minute study sessions into my day without having to nap. My sleep schedule is on point and I can almost wake up without an alarm. Almost, as in, I know exactly how many times I can hit snooze without being late to class.

Then spring break comes and I wind up staying up way too late, sleeping in way too late, and forgetting what day it is altogether. I put off my to-do list from the week before of things I know I can get done during spring break until the Sunday night before Monday’s class and I wonder why I even took a break in the first place.

I’m not only more behind than I was before the break, but all the time I took de-stressing was all for nothing. The first day back from spring break is just like the first day of school all over again, except you know exactly what assignments you aren’t turning in and what extra credit projects you’re hoping the teacher assigns.

It makes more sense to me to just let school out a week early at the end of the semester.

Add a few extra four-day weekends into the mix and there would be enough of a break throughout the long semester to make up for the weeklong break that students take for spring break.

Four day weekends aren’t as hard to come back from as a weeklong break is, and students don’t have to readjust to early morning classes, skip out on homework assignments to stay on vacation longer, or only have one break to look forward to through the semester.

Four-day weekends allow for short weekend trips or simply an extra day to catch up on class work without having time for procrastination that a weeklong break allows for. For all classes to remain balanced in class time, the four-day weekends could vary from class cancelations on Thursdays and Mondays.

Besides, who doesn’t want an extra week of summer?