Akinyemi voted student body president

Local. Art by Chris Brockman.
Local. Art by Chris Brockman.

On April 1 and April 2, voting for the run-off election between Benton Allen and Edward Akinyemi took place. During their first campaign, both candidates didn’t meet the requirements of votes needed due to plurality and had to go through a second campaign.
In the runoff election, Edward Akinyemi became the new West Texas A&M University student body president.
“I was shocked, “Edward Akinyemi, senior biology major and now the student government president, said. “I’m still shocked, and this is a very humbling moment.”
According to Akinyemi, he was able to get though with this election with the help of his parents and God. Akinyemi also said that he did as much as he could to spread the word and by doing that, he put his face all over campus as a reminder for students to vote.
“It is important to vote because everyone needs a voice,” Desiree Chamners, freshman Electronic Media major, said. “Our student government represents us very well.”
However, WTAMU has a respectable student population who live off campus. Akinyemi seeks to address the issue of enticing these students to be more involved with campus organizations and student government.
“The best way to make myself visible to students is by social media,” Akinyemi said. “Social media is taking over everything and when I do take office, I will have an open door policy. When students have a question, they can always talk to me. As long as my doors are open, students are welcomed.”
Even if students aren’t necessarily involved with activities they can always go and speak to the president and talk about issues they feel need to be taken care of on campus. This is why voting has been recommended and joining an organization or two as well.
“Students in general should get more involved, “Jonathan Nobles, freshman Graphic Design major, said. “Getting involved can give students different views, ideas, and opinions that can really shape WT into what everyone wants it to be.”