Students team up for charity

Beginning April 17, a multitude of teams will participate in Relay For Life at the West Texas A&M University Buffalo Sports Complex. Many of these teams were formed by student organizations, including the Herdsmen Hearts, the Hispanic Student Association, the Residence Hall Association, WT Agriculture and several Greek Life organizations. The event is from 6 p.m. on Friday until 6 a.m. on Saturday.

Founded in May 1985, Relay For Life is an overnight community walk that raises funds for the American Cancer Society that go toward cancer research and services provided for cancer patients, such as accommodations, transportation and support programs. Canyon is a special location for Relay For Life, as the first Relay For Life event to ever be held in Texas took place in Canyon on May 5, 1994. The event entails teams raising money and participating in the overnight walk, during which the groups camp out at the track. Included are various forms of entertainment, games and activities.

Relay For Life starts with the opening ceremony, welcoming all participants, before the relay begins with the Survivors Lap, during which all cancer survivors attending the event make the first lap around the track as other participants cheer for them. The second lap is known as the Caregivers Lap, as it gives recognition to caregivers of cancer patients. For the next lap, all Relay For Life teams walk together in what is referred to as the opening lap.

After dark, the Luminaria Ceremony is held, honoring those who have fought or are fighting cancer. Throughout the night, participants continue walking until the Fight Back Ceremony rallies Relay For Life Participants to fight against cancer.

“It is extremely important to not only those of us who have had the experience with somebody who has battled cancer and lost somebody to it, but to those who have heard of somebody having been affected by this horrible disease,” Kelsey Wright, WT graduate and community manager for the local American Cancer Society, said.

The various student-led teams that have joined together to participate in Relay For Life and to collect donations for the American Cancer Society are moved by the meaning of the event and are dedicated to honoring and supported those affected by cancer.

“Relay For Life means I can support my hero and others’ heroes, who may be going through a difficult time,” Kaley McCafferty, junior Agricultural Media and Communications major and leader of the Herdsmen Hearts’ Relay For Life Team, said. “My grandma has been through so much and I love that’s she is able to walk the Survivors Lap with so much support and help.”

Participating in Relay For Life is a challenge in and of itself, representing the struggle that cancer patients must face to fight the disease. To represent that cancer never sleeps, each team must always have at least one member participating. This experience, combined with the purpose of supporting and raising funds for cancer patients and cancer research, makes for an eye-opening, life-changing opportunity for those who partake in the event.

“It’s such a great atmosphere to be surrounded by others all working for the common goal to raise money for a cause near and dear to many hearts,” Bailee Wright, senior Agricultural Media and Communications major and leader of the WT Agriculture team, said. “It’s upbeat, inspirational, and sentimental. I believe for WT to be a part of this is extremely impactful for not only our student organizations, but our community as well. It’s a representation of the heart and passion of our university.”

Canyon’s Relay For Life Event will start with the first lap beginning at 7.p.m. More information, as well as opportunities to register or donate, can be found at www.RelayForLife.org/canyontx