Students remember Browning as leader, mentor

Heavy hearts filled the campus of West Texas A&M University on Monday as the news spread of a longtime professor’s passing. Known to many of her students as DL, Dr. Leigh Browning was a WT alum and a faculty member since 1991.

After spending more than 20 years in the Mass Communication department teaching journalism and broadcasting classes, Browning moved to the College of Business to teach Business Communication and Marketing classes. She was also a Miller Professor of Entrepreneurship.

“It is with deep sadness that I have to inform you we have lost a beloved member of the WTAMU community,” President J. Patrick O’Brien said in an email to the University. “[Browning] has been an integral part of the WT family for many years…She has shared her exuberant enthusiasm, her love for students and her expertise in media and marketing with generations of students.”

Browning’s students remember her for the influence she had on their lives not only in the classroom, but in their everyday lives. Many considered her a friend and a part of their family.

Students and WT alumni credit many of their successes to Browning because of her encouragement during their college years. Zivorad Filipovic, a December 2013 graduate and former student of Browning, said he would not be where he is today if it weren’t for Browning and her support.

“She was more than just a professor,” Filipovic, Marketing Manager at Amarillo Symphony, said in a Facebook post remembering Browning. “She pushed me to do my best because she knew what I could accomplish. I am blessed to have been able to call her my friend, professor and a part of my family. Serbian Christmas will never be the same.”

Several social media updates were posted Monday afternoon and evening in Browning’s honor. Her influence and legacy are evident in the posts, as many give thanks to her for being a mentor and for teaching lessons in the classroom and about life.

As the news continued to spread and hearts continued to grow heavy, students turned to each other on social media to remember just how special Browning was to them. Comments were left by former students naming Browning as one of their favorites.

“She was definitely an inspiration to persevere, overcome and always strive to be the best at what we do,” Chris Grepo, a 2013 graduate, said on social media. “My heart aches at the loss of a mentor and leader that I learned so much from…Another one of the greats has gone to be with God. You will be missed, Dr. Browning. It was a pleasure to learn from your brilliant mind.”

An asset to the success of the Mass Communication department and College of Business at WT, Browning is credited by many former students for instilling in them a sense of confidence in their own abilities. She is remembered and honored for truly caring about the success and well-being of each of her students.

“She pushed me harder than anyone and taught me to never give up,” Filipovic said. “She became a friend to me and a part of my family. She was one of my heroes. Because of Dr. Browning I know I can do anything.”

President O’Brien said she brought national acclaim to the University through her creativity, mentorship and teaching excellence. It is evident she will be missed by her students, colleagues and the WT family.

“She pushed me because she knew what I was capable of,” Filipovic said. “And she did it because she cared about my success.”

Memorial services for Browning will be on Saturday, April 24, at 2 p.m. in Legacy Hall.