Buffs and the Super Bowl

Buffs and the Super Bowl

Payton Northrup, Reporter

As we reach the half century mark of annual Super Bowl coverage, it is abundantly clear that it has become a national holiday. People take the time to gather and celebrate as they watch the two best teams that the NFL has to offer battle it out on the television screen.

When it comes watching the Super Bowl, students at West Texas A&M University have various different perspectives from which they view the game. A lot of students around campus enjoy the experience and festivities of Super Bowl Sunday for many different reasons.

“For me, the fact that I am able to have all of my friends together in one room watching a game together is awesome,” Anthony Miller, Senior Electronic Media Major said, “I love football and the game is always great. I look forward to this day every single year.”

However for some students, Super Bowl Sunday is so much more than just the action that plays out on the field. Many Buffs find more enjoyment in other things like the food or the commercials that go along with the broadcast of the game.

“Honestly, my favorite part of Super Bowl Sunday would be the commercials,” Maggie Colville, Education Graduate Student said, “They are much more entertaining than average commercials and this makes watching the game that much better.”

Along with those who have made Super Bowl Sunday a yearly tradition, some students on campus have come to West Texas A&M from outside the country and are having the opportunity to experience the Super Bowl for the first time.

“When I first came to the United States I didn’t realize how big the Super Bowl was until it was time to watch the game with my friends,” Alexander Korn, Business Graduate Student said, “It is very fun to see people come together to watch football while eating a lot of different foods.”

While the game, commercials, and the comradery are what get people to come together in the first place, it is the food that many Buffs say keep them the happiest during Super Bowl festivities. Super Bowl Sunday is one of the biggest days for people to sit down and eat and enormous amount of food. From chips and dips, to pizzas, to full spread barbeque meals, students say the food is what they look forward to more than anything else when this early February afternoon comes around each and every year.

All around campus students are excited for the game to arrive as each year passes. While students say they have numerous different reasons for why they enjoy the day so much, one underlying theme is being able to spend time with their friends and colleagues. Regardless of the score or who wins the game, Super Bowl Sunday is an important day for many Buffs.