From us to you: Thank you, Dr. Cain

We are taking a break from the norm and addressing this particular editorial to a singular person who has been a priceless asset to student journalism here at West Texas A&M University.

Dr. Cain,

Thank you.  Thank you for everything you have taught us.  Academically, you broadened our scope as student journalists and taught us to always seek the truth, to question the status quo and to be decisive in our actions.  It is not much of stretch to say that the students you encountered during your time at WT have left this place being better journalists and people, both ready to tackle the world.  Outside of the class room, you were a source of advice for numerous students.  You proved to be a great listener as well, a quality that is hard to find in the world of higher education.

You were the one professor no one wanted to disappoint, and that was doubly so for those, both paid and unpaid, who contributed to The Prairie.  Your standards were high because you believed not only in the true power of journalism, but you also believed in us.  You believed that we were capable of doing great things and that belief drove us to be the best journalist we could possibly be.  You never coddled us.  You never treated us like anything less than adults, and for that we are much appreciative.

As you pack your bags and set off on a much deserved journey we are saddened but so very happy for you.  We are all a little selfish in that we want you to stay, but we know that on your new journey you are going to encounter many more student journalists to mentor and encourage just as you did here.  West Texas A&M University is a much better place for having you here while we did.  You will be greatly missed, but while you won’t be here, we know you will truly never be gone.  You have left an indelible mark and we will continue to strive for excellence in journalism as you have always taught us to do.  Thanks for being a great professor, an excellent advisor and a true friend.

Regards,

The Prairie Editorial Staff