‘Free’ for all: Organizations offer lunches

There are many students live far away from home and do not have a chance to eat some homemade meals. Sometimes, they may also feel lonely. However, there are several organizations on campus that provide students a free meal and a great networking opportunity.

Wesley Foundation

The Wesley provides free lunches every Tuesday at noon and enough to feed 150 to 200 students. The foods are usually supplied by Methodist churches, which provide a variety of food including pizzas, hot dogs, sandwiches, and homemade dishes. The purpose of free lunch is to help students to meet new people and get involved. Brandon Upton, a student at WTAMU, and said “fulfill” will be the word to describe the atmosphere at the Wesley.

Baptist Student Ministry

The Baptist Student Ministry established free lunch during the late 1960s. Most of the time, meals are provided by different churches around the West Texas area. The BSM currently holds two lunches every week, which are every Wednesday and Thursday at noon. On Thursdays, the International free lunch seeks to provide students an environment in which they can exchange culture differences and learn proper English. “People at free lunch are very nice, and it is a great experience to learn another culture,” says Hsiang-Ting-Huang. However, students are encouraged to cook their home dishes and share with everyone. The BSM provides the ingredients needed and drinks for everyone.

Buffs for Christ

Buffs for Christ provides meals the second Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. Their event, is known as “Stuff the Buffs.” Meals are provided by the University Church of Christ. Most of the meals are homemade; however, they serve hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizzas as well. Buffs for Christ also provides a place for students to hang out, such as the game room, which includes game systems and a pool table.

These three organizations do not meet only for the free meals but also to help students to get involved. The organizations offer some field trips and special events. All students are welcome to join.

“If it is free, it is for me” said Kent Mereness, the director of Buffs for Christ. Don’t hesitate to get involved and enjoy the free meal with everyone. These organizations are willing to help students to get what they needs, and stand by their side throughout the school years.