No ‘Doubt’ students can direct

Photo by Stephen Ingle.
Photo by Stephen Ingle.

Kate Felkins, a senior theatre major, at WTAMU directs ‘Doubt’, a modern play that focuses on how difficult it can be to discover truth.  She earned the right to direct the play after taking classes with Royal Brantley and applying for the position.

Felkins said that as a student she took steps to make sure she was able to be a successful director and student.

“I did take a slightly lighter class load in preparation for creating this whole world,” Felkins said.  “[Being a student director], I’m in this odd little middle ground.”

‘Doubt’ is staged in the Happy State Bank Studio Theatre, which has a thrust stage instead of the more traditional proscenium arch.  Although Felkins is directing the play, she has the support of Royal Brantley, professor of theatre.

“I’ve personally never acted in thrust setting,” Felkins said.  “Mr. Brantley helped me with several techniques.”

Just as with a production staged by faculty, Felkins had theatre students audition before she chose the cast members.

Julia Rucker, a sophomore theatre major, plays Sister James.  Rucker noted that the dynamic between actor and director is different when the director is a student.

“It’s easier to voice your opinion sometimes,” Rucker said.  “[You have to find] the line between peer and director.”

Felkins said that directing has shown her a whole new side to the theatre process.  Felkins said that seeing the ideas she came up with for staging the play actually happen has been unreal.

“It’s a new concept that the things I [saw] in my head are real,” Felkins said.