RHA stays active on campus

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

One of WTAMU’s many active organizations is the Residence Hall Association (RHA). RHA consists of representatives from each residence hall. The delegates are elected by peers from their hall to voice specific concerns and ideas from their respective dorms.

“We represent all residents who live on campus. We vote on different ordinances and things like that. Like when the curfew changed last year, that was us. And we also put on programs,” said Erin Stodghill, an RHA delegate.

Some of the upcoming programs for the spring include: a Valentine’s Day battle of the sexes, a singing bee, a “Knock out Cancer” basketball event, a midnight outdoor movie, and the yearly casino night at the University formal.

“We put on events all year long to give the residents who live on campus a fun campus life. We invite commuters as well, but we tailor to kids who live in the dorms, also because that’s where we have most of our advertising,” said Nicole Moore, a junior Communications major and RHA president.

“We went to our regional conference this weekend (South West Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls) at SMU,” said Moore. “We submitted a bid to hold Humans vs. Zombies. From the evaluations, they chose the top ten. Only 38 were presented at conference and ours was one of the top ten,”

The Southwest Affiliate includes the states of Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and the country of Mexico. There are currently about 25 member schools in SWACURH.

“RHA provides great opportunities to get involved and have your voice heard when dealing with some issues in the halls,” said Chad Pearson, a Centennial Hall representative. “It’s also really great to communicate with other universities in our region to come up with new ideas for our campus. RHA does a lot of functions on campus such as homecoming events and various events throughout the year.”