WT students preferred spring break activities

With spring break approaching fast, The USA Travel Guide has identified the top 2012 spring break destinations – Cancun, Amsterdam, London, Jamaica and South Padre Island. However, some WTAMU students are choosing alternate vacations.

Some students opt to spend spring break with the United Way or Habitat for Humanity.

Both organizations offer week long trips to students to experience communities such as Jamaica to rebuild homes or care for the people of Costa Rica.

Others go on trips to learn conservation practices in Mexico and become more culturally familiar to the communities of Morocco.These organizations believe in promoting community service to young people. They also believe through volunteering, skills are developed in leadership and responsibility and create strong bonds between participants.

Agricultural Communications major Jayce Jane Renee Apsley will travel home for the break to work the family ranch. Apsley said that she could have chosen any other path.

“Spring break is a time to do literally anything you want, what you do with your freedom is up to you. I choose family, she said.”

With the freedom of spring break also comes a much needed break from school stress.

This stress felt by students and professors both.

“It’s a much needed break before projects are due and finals, also a time for us teachers to catch up on grading,” Kim Bruce, instructor of Mass Communication, said.

The WT Buff Advertising team chose school during spring break. The team will be working over spring break for the National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC).

The group is lead by Lori Westermann, instructor of Mass Communication, and is seventeen members strong.

NSAC will be held in April in Shreveport, La., having groups from multiple schools participating in a fully integrated marketing and advertising campaign.

Members of WT’s Buffalo Advertising team such as Jordan Smith, a junior Advertising and Public Relations major, do not mind working during spring break. Smith sees her Buffalo Advertising peers as family.

“I got into NSAC to be more involved in advertising and heard it was a great way to get involved and ahead in the industry,” Smith said.