College: Where Differences Come Together – Part 1

Web Editor’s Note: This is part one of a three-part series. To read the first part, click here. For the second part, click here.

Most college students begin their academic careers with the idea that they are there to further their education or to learn more about what interests them. This idea is correct, but what sneaks up on them is they end up learning more about the kind of person they are. This is commonly known as “finding oneself.”

College life allows for more opportunities of differences outside of one’s comfort zone. Being around different environments, cultures, and peers can have an influence on your own perceptions. Meeting and interacting with new people is a continuous process, especially when it comes to school. According to a study conducted at Miami University, currently four out of every 10 public school students represents an ethnic minority. The Marketing Management Journal states that the current U.S. population includes significant ethnic diversity and that diversity is predicted to grow rapidly in the coming years.Although the majority of the student population at WTAMU consists of white students, there is also a large presence of minority students. On the journey of growing and finding yourself in college, the people you interact with can sway your ideas one way or another. To have a well-rounded education, it’s important to be open to differences. A research report published in Psychological Science reports that racially diverse educational environments are associated with positive intellectual and social outcomes for college students

“During my college experience I was introduced to many aspects of diversity—race, religion sexuality,” Megan Langford, a recent WT graduate, said. “It gave me a chance to understand different perspectives and to reevaluate my own. It also gave others a chance to break stereotypes.”

Kori Chavarria, a Business Management major, described the importance of interacting with people of different ethnicities.

“When we interact with people from other paths of life than our own, we learn to appreciate what we have and have a better understanding of the world we live in,” she said.

“The more you interact with people outside of your comfort zone, the more knowledge you can gain about people with different backgrounds,” Katelynn Pitchford, an Accounting major, said. “It helps reduce the stereotypes you may have as well as allows you to gain respect for other cultures.”

Throughout the next four editions of The Prairie, we will get a closer look at how different ethnicities interact and how their differences or similarities have an impact on their education and social life.