Honors Banquet will honor outstanding students

WTAMU’s 33rd annual University Honors Banquet will take place in the Alumni Banquet Hall April 27 at 7 p.m. The banquet will recognize outstanding students and organizations that have exhibited leadership and dedication throughout the year at WT.

“To get this kind of recognition is really important,” Dr. Don Albrecht, vice president of Student Affairs and chairman of the honors committee, said. “We give the biggest awards a student can get.”

These awards range from various scholarships to outstanding organization, outstanding president of an organization and outstanding advisor.

“It is the only university honors banquet to honor students and it varies,” Engineering major and President of the Leadership Board Valeria Swope said. “Students within organizations on campus like sororities and fraternities and the service organizations, just all the different organizations that we have on campus [participate in the banquet].”

Director of Student Activities Skip Chisum said since other departments on campus – such as the Athletic department – have their own awards banquets, this one will recognize the works of students and organizations that don’t fall under a particular college or department.

“We really try to pick up students and awards and scholarships that may not fall in any other category,“ Chisum said. “The banquet is a vehicle to show the rest of the campus community, ‘this is what we do’ and other people don’t always get to see.”

Some of the University’s highest awards will be given out at the banquet, including Man and Woman of the Year, which honors one male and one female student out of the entire WT student body for their accomplishments.

“It’s really based on their entire career at WT and all the wonderful things they’ve done,” Albrecht said. “They’re strong academically, they’re strong campus leaders and they’re strong volunteers.”

WT President Patrick O’Brien will also give out his own Silver Buffalo Award which, in the past, has been received by students and entire organizations.

“We don’t know what he chooses to give,” Albrecht said. “It’s whatever he decides he wants to do. If he wants to recognize a team or a person, and he’s done both, those will be awarded as well.”

The theme for this year’s banquet, according to Swope, is Derby.

“We want all the women to wear their nice fancy hats and the men to be nicely dressed and everything,” she said.

Over 200 guests are expected at the banquet this year, but it is open to any guest who wishes to attend. Tickets are $15 and includes both dinner and banquet activities for the evening. Tickets are available through April 25 and can be obtained at the Student Information Center in the JBK.