Night at the PPHM

Panhandle Plains Historical Museum: Photo Courtsey of Megan Moore.

Armed with flashlights in one hand and paper and pencil in the other, WTAMU students searched for answers about exhibits in the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum Friday night. Venturing through the pitch black halls, students had to explore the museum using only a flashlight.

“I spend a lot of time in the museum but doing it in the dark is a whole new challenge,” Sean O’Rear, senior Communication major, said. “It makes you think. It’s a good way of promoting the museum.”

It was the first annual WT student’s night at the museum.

“This is the first year, but we are planning to continue it,” Stephanie Price, Marketing and Communication manager of PPHM, said. “It’s only for WT students. We open a night at the museum for the public but it’s a lot different.”

T-shirts were distributed to the first 150 students and a D.J. was set up for entertainment purposes. Five prizes were handed out which equaled  $50 each.  PPHM partnered with student affairs at WT to make the event possible.

“It’s a great way to introduce them (students) to the museum,” Price said. “If they aren’t going home, they have something to do.”

There were several different mediums used to promote the event and raise awareness to students.

“There were posters around campus and a display in front of the caf,” Stephanie Meadows, junior Music Education major, said.