Buff Entertainment Brief

Entertainment Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

WT students across campus have been reacting and adapting to the seventh version of Apple’s iOS, released Sept. 18. The update comes with a number of tweaks and polishes to Apple’s previous services, as well as integration of some new features. The update’s arrival was marked by a large spike in WT’s bandwidth usage the hour of the update’s release, and overall Apple reported a 35% adoption rate across its user base.

Two major features of the update are the inclusion of Apple’s file sharing app Airdrop, which allows users to share files between a number of supported Apple devices, including mobile devices as well as computers. iTunes will now be a platform for a free ad-supported music streaming service similar in functionality to Pandora. Users of iTunes Radio will be able to create custom radio stations, purchase songs, and browse the songs they listened to previously.

This release marks a change in Apple’s previous policy regarding new updates and compatibility with older devices. Users with an unsupported device would, instead of downloading the new update and causing problems with their phone or tablet, be prompted towards the latest version of iOS compatible with their device.

Reactions to the update have been mixed at WT, with some students loving the update, others hating the changes, and some indifferent.

“There’s some new stuff, but it feels like the same old iPhone,” Josh Mullins, sophomore English Education major, said. “It feels like Apple is trying to catch up to Android.”

“I feel like it has a lot more customization, accessibility, and better access to apps,” Trent Mcanear, sophomore CIS major, said. “This brings them up to par with Android. I like the feel for it.”