Internships, get your foot in the door

Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.
Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.

As college students, we want nothing more than to figure out what we want to be when we grow up. We spend countless hours debating a change of major and contemplating the concept that once we graduate, we will be in the real world. We have heaps of homework, studying and projects that are supposed to get us to the ultimate goal of graduation. Some students know exactly where they fit in and what career path calls them, others just aren’t so lucky. Thankfully we have roughly four years of college to figure all that out, with one thing in our favor to make the decision process easier. Internships.

Though internships can be identified with getting coffee, confirming appointments, and running pointless errands, there’s a reason that most degrees require them. They help. It’s kind of like a practice run before graduation and having to be stuck with a career that isn’t a right fit.  Internships give experience and preparation in addition to what is taught in the classroom.

Internships are a great way to get a foot in the door as well. In a recent movie, The Internship, staring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, the idea that interning can help the move up the ladder and that it’s a starting point for a career is evident throughout. It showcases the hard work and struggles that come with an internship as well, and can be related to that of what a college student experiences.

Since internships can be of great value for a wandering student, both colleges and universities across the country should implement the requirement of an internship. The combination of a classroom learning experience and a real world experience can only be beneficial for a student. Now, not every internship is a perfect fit but can provide a learning experience and help ease the burden of figuring out the future.