WT progresses in the technology world

Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.
Opinion. Art by Chris Brockman.

In this digital age, it can be hard to keep up with the latest technology and trends. We’ve progressed from the blog site Myspace to Twitter, keeping our communication at 140 characters or less. We’ve moved from newspapers to multiple online news outlets. We’ve now got a whole world of information at our fingertips with smart phones.

All of this new technology can be overwhelming, but can also provide the college experience with more opportunities. West Texas A&M University has done an incredible job at keeping up with the latest trends and providing students with equipment and experiences that would be hard to come by at any other university.

It’s not just one department making these strides in the technology world, it’s the entire campus. The Agriculture Department has cloned calves. The Engineering department has made a prosthetic hand. The Mass Communications department is experimenting with Google Glass, and that’s just to mention a few.

The learning experience has changed drastically over the years because of technology. Teachers are now able to access professionals from across the country to be guest speakers in classrooms via Skype or Google Hangout. Students have access to all the equipment they need through multiple outlets on campus. Our campus is progressing rapidly to provide students with the best learning experience possible.

We at The Prairie are also excited about new technology advances. A new production facility is soon coming our way and will not only enhance the information that we provide our audience with, but will also improve our success in the professional world.
Journalism in this new age is not just about writing. Upon entering the career field, we aspiring journalists have to know a variety of things. We must be knowledgeable in shooting video and editing said video. We must be able to take photographs. Along with this, we have to be able to know Adobe Suites and be able to layout pages. There are so many different areas that we have to be familiar with and with this new production facility we will be able to embrace all of these assets.

We look forward to this new facility and to providing our readers with new content.