Nursing Department promotes health

Nursing students (left to right) Kyler Wiggins, Lindsay Sheffield and Meagan Jennings participate in the free health screenings.

Senior Nursing students are teaming up with United supermarkets in Amarillo to perform free health screenings. Adults can receive a health screening on Tuesdays at Amigos on I-40 and Grand and Wednesdays at United on 45th and Bell from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. until March 5.

The health screenings include a number of things.

“We do a finger stick for blood glucose. We do blood pressure, height and weight and we do a BMI off of that,” Ryan Chisum, senior Nursing major, said. “We don’t try to treat any of these things, we just make them aware.”

The students also created fliers and pamphlets that cover a wide variety of topics including family health, immunizations, type 2 diabetes, men’s health, breast cancer and more.

“We are doing the health screenings to promote health in the community and get people aware of getting their health checked regularly because a lot of people don’t get their check-ups,” Chisum said. “They don’t realize that they have high blood pressure or high glucose.”

The students are partnered with United supermarkets in order to reach a large number of citizens in the community.

“Both Amigos and United at 45th and Bell impact a variety of cultures in our community,” Nancy Turrubiates, Bachelor of Science instructor in the Nursing program, said. “The goal was to establish a community partnership and give the students an opportunity to network with a variety of individuals.”

The opportunity to add the health screenings was discussed with the United supermarkets and both stores agreed it would be a great idea.

“They really want us there,” Chisum said. “They really get involved with this.”

The health screenings have been a success for the students.

“As faculty for this course, I am pleased with the way things have gone so far in the screenings,” Turrubiates said. “We have already screened over 50 individuals and yet to complete this project.”

Nursing students have performed the free health screenings in the past as part of their Populations course and have done other community outreach events as well.

“The students who are taking the Populations class, which focuses on community health, do them every semester as part of their assignments,” Severin Witte, senior Nursing major, said. “I was able to do some last semester, which included a health screening at Fair on the Square, a flu shot clinic in the JBK and a health fair for the homeless in Amarillo.”

This semester, the health fair for the homeless will take place on April 29 at Guyon-Saunders in Amarillo.

“We’ll get our donations throughout the community, both Amarillo and Canyon and the Health department will come and help with supplies,” Chisum said. “We’ll get a restaurant to help cater. It’s always been successful.”

The students are expecting about 150 participants in the health fair for the homeless.

By doing various community outreach events, the Nursing department at WT hopes to make a positive impact on the health of the community.

“If we can affect one person in making positive changes to their health, then we have succeeded,” Turrubiates said.