WTAMU student enrollment continues to grow

West Texas A&M University has increased significantly and sits at the highest level of enrollment in history. Students enrolled aren’t just coming from Texas, but are coming from almost everywhere.
“Fifty-seven percent of our out of state students come from five states.  Those states are New Mexico, Colorado, California, Oklahoma, and Kansas,” Jarvis Hampton, Director of the Department of Institutional Research, said.  “We have 242 International students enrolled this fall.  Forty-two percent of them come from five countries.  They are, Viet Nam, Saudi Arabia, China, India and Nigeria.”
Cost of attendance for out-of-state students at WT does not gain significantly compared to an in-state student, as it would at most higher Texas public institutions.
“The cost of attendance and the variety of quality programs are two reasons we’re attracting more students to WT from in and out of state,” Hampton said.  “New dorms, campus improvements, and our athletic successes in recent years play a big role also,” Hampton said.
WT offers a tuition estimator on the website, which allows students to gauge cost when considering WT for an out-of-state option. Students who are from states outside of Texas pay the same rate as a Texas resident plus $30 per credit hour.
“Texas is beautiful, the campus is a great size, and everyone is just so nice and helpful,” Elizabeth Crowhurst, junior Agriculture Education major, said. “Also the out-of-state charges are awesome and so much affordable, I’m from California but I went to Corban University in Oregon before I transferred to WT, I now pay 20,000 dollars less here at WT then when I use to attend Corban University, it really does make a difference,” Crowhurst said.
WT is also the home to many international students. Cost of tuition for these students is $412 per credit hour at the guaranteed tuition rate. With both the out-of-state and international students, a diverse environment is created.
“Some of the closet bonds I’ve created with people here at WT are with students that are classified as out-of-state,” Halee Langen, freshman Communication Disorders major, said. “Many of them always tell me that the main reason they came to WT is because of the great programs they offer based on their major and how affordable tuition is that applies to them, tuition for out-of-state students doesn’t double like it would at a bigger or different school.”