BuffCASH locations expand beyond WT campus

The Buffalo Gold Card office is located in the Classroom Center on campus. Students receive their Buff Gold Cards here.

The Buffalo Gold Card system started in 1997 when the newly formed Buff Card office accepted buts from different billing companies and presented the proposal to the campus committee. The initial idea was simply to create a universal access card.

“Before then there was a card for everything, a punch card for athletic privileges, a punch card for meals, a sticker for the library and a sticker for the activity center,” Patrick Bolwahnn, Card Administrator, said.

Bolwahnn has been the ID Card Administrator since 1997. He has been an integral part of bringing the buff card system to life. From concept to installation, Bolwahnn has had a hand in it all. In the beginning, he installed much of the new tech personally.

“We started the new system off with 110 locations [to swipe the buff card], today we monitor 220 merchandise locations and 205 doors,” Bolwahnn, said. “Now we can monitor everything the buff card gives access to with a single system.”

The concept of BuffCASH was used on a smaller scale from the beginning. Students could use their cards to purchase things from store locations on campus. The idea went live off campus in 2001 with seven locations, jumping up to 40 in 2006. The new system was targeted primarily towards parents, allowing them to deposit money on the card.

“My favorite new addition to the BuffCASH system is the mobile app,” Bill Bowen, Assistant ID Card Administrator, said. “You can check our balance and freeze and reactivate your card any time you want. If you drop your card on the way to the dorms you can freeze it and then if you find it the next morning you can just reactivate it right away.”

Bown has been working in the Buff Card office since September. Before then, he held a job in environmental safety.

“I love this job,” Bowen said. “It’s different everyday. I love seeing new things and meeting new people, and as far as the card goes I like being able to do a payroll deduction and have money put on it [the card] every month.”

Since the BuffCASH system went off campus in 2001 it has expanded to over 50 locations in Canyon and Amarillo. Recent additions include the Napoli’s in Canyon and two Chicken Expresses in Amarillo.

“BuffCASH is ok I guess,” Alyssa Evalle, graduate student in Plant and Soil Science major, said. “I like the fact that one card can do so much on campus, makes things easy, but off campus I don’t really use it.”

Evalle, as a student who lives off campus, said she doesn’t find the card useful for her.

“I’m sure if I lived on campus I would appreciate it a lot more,” Evalle said.

As part of a special promotion, anyone who uses BuffCASH at Pure Wate Ice & Tea, either Subway in Canyon, any United in Canyon or Amarillo, Donut Stop or Palo Duro Quick Lube will be entered into a drawing for a prize. Winners have the potential to receive either $10 BuffCASH or a BuffCASH t-shirt.