Equestrian team season ends

Sophomore Ada Berg practices at the WT Horse Center. Berg placed fifth in Novice Equitation Over Fences at the IHSA Zone Championship.

As a result of their success at the Hunt Seat Regional Championship in early March, two West Texas A&M University equestrian team members, Cana Fitzgerald and Ada Berg, qualified to travel to Madison, Wis. this past weekend to compete in the Zone Championship.

Crowned as Region Champion Individual and Reserve Region Champion Individual, respectively, Fitzgerald and Berg represented WT in two separate individual classes. Fitzgerald placed third in Beginner Walk-Trot Equitation while Berg was fifth in Novice Equitation Over Fences.

“It was an amazing experience to make it all the way to the zone championship,” Ada Berg, sophomore Pre-Nursing major, said. “Cana Fitzgerald and I are very proud of our rides and couldn’t have put out better ones if we tried. We were among some great competition this weekend.”

Two riders from each region within the zone competed in each individual class to make up classes in which ten riders went head-to-head, leaving Fitzgerald and Berg to each compete against nine other individuals within their classes. Although both WT equestrians placed well, only the top two individuals from each class advance to the IHSA National Championships. As a result, the girls’ season has come to an end.

“I felt so blessed to compete with other riders who share the same passion for riding, and I’m so excited for the girls who qualified for Nationals,” Cana Fitzgerald, sophomore Equine Industry and Business major, said. “It’s been an amazing journey and I’m still trying to soak it all in.”

Coach Amanda Love has been along the journey with these equestrians, pushing them to be the best riders that they can be. As a result, she witnessed firsthand their hard work.

“We were extremely proud of our performances this weekend,” Love said. “Paired against great competition, the ladies definitely held their mental game, rode to the best of their abilities, made great choices in the pen, and that’s all we can ask for. It’s unfortunate we’re not advancing to the National Championships, but they definitely made championship-type rounds, so we are very proud of their performances.”

However, the WT western team, as well as several individual members of that team, has qualified for the National Championships, which will take place April 30 through May 3 in West Springfield, Mass.