Develop passions, meet friends in campus organizations

Potential teammates, best friends, spouses, peers and rivals pass on the sidewalks of West Texas A&M University, briefly acknowledging each other with a small head nod before heading off to class without a second glance.

If not for student organizations, these future relationships could never have the chance to form.

At college, students have the unique opportunity to surround themselves with people from all walks of life who share the common goal of earning a degree. The crowds waiting in line at the Jack B. Kelley Student Center food court are filled with growing potential and students who will one day make an impact on the world. Students with shared passions and ambitions often meet through participation in one of WTAMU’s dozens of student organizations.

Away from family and familiar faces, student organizations help students find their home and connect with other students who “nerd out” for the same reasons they do. Students in these groups often grow their social and professional networks, discover and develop new skills, and complete projects that will look impressive on future résumés. Participation in student organizations also increases student retention rates as students find new reasons to love their education.

Organizations give students the opportunity to become a part of something bigger than themselves and accomplish more as a part of a group. Student organizations at WTAMU include a wide range of types designed for almost every personality and interest, and these groups participate in projects, competitions and more.

To learn more about the types of campus organizations offered at WTAMU and to find out how to join, interested students may visit the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership webpage on the university website to find a full list of student organizations.