Organization Spotlight: The Economics Club

Callie Shipley, Coordinator for Junior Reporters

Each student at West Texas A&M University can find a home in one of the university’s dozens of campus organizations, and The Prairie continues to give these groups an opportunity to shine with interviews featuring organization leaders. This week, we are taking a closer look at the WT Economics Club through a conversation with Joel Klein, the club president.
The Prairie: What has been the most interesting thing that has happened to you while a member of the Economics Club? 
KLEIN: The most interesting thing that has happened while a member was our trip to the Dallas Federal Reserve last spring. We were able to listen to Robert Kaplan, who is the president and chief executive officer of the 11th District Federal Reserve Bank, at Dallas. He provided insight to what the Federal Reserve was thinking about the economy.
What motivates you to make the Economics Club succeed?
My motivation to make the Econclub succeed is seeing the benefits of community that can happen. Spending time outside the classroom with students of similar degrees helps people feel connected. The connections can not only help feel like someone belongs but also can forge relationships that can help you in the classroom.
What is something that most people do not know about the Economics Club? 
Something that people don’t know about Econclub is that we travel to Texas Tech to attend lectures about economic research.
Who has been your most influential mentor up to this point in your life?
My most influential mentor has been my grandpa. He worked construction his whole life. He can’t read, but he is the smartest person I know. He has always encouraged me to get a college education so I can make a good living without breaking down my body.
What are the three songs that appear at the top of your most recently-played list?
The three most recent songs in my playlist has been 2113 by Coheed and Cambria, Black Sheep by The Clash at Demonhead, and Uptown Girl by Billy Joel.
Right now, in this moment, what is worrying you the most?
The thing that is currently worrying me the most is where I will be working this summer after graduation. I want to move away from the Panhandle, but I am currently still looking at job opportunities.
What kind of lasting legacy would you like to leave when your time is done with the Economics Club?
The legacy I would like to leave would be just to have a lasting quest to be informed of pressing economic issues. Discussing and reading books creates knowledge which can lead to leading changes in the world.
What are some big things that can be expected from the Economics Club? 
The big thing that should be expected is more presentation of study at the annual trip at the Dallas Federal Reserve. Last year, we had our first presenter at the convention. We would love to have more presenters every year.
Fill in the blank: The Economics Club is _________?
WT Economics Club is an awesome place to discuss current affairs with knowledgeable professors as well as other students.