Choir Prepares Students for Future Dreams

Chastiny Walker, Reporter

Choir participants at West Texas A&M University share about their experiences in the ensemble following last week’s fall concert.

Freshman Indie McCoy, a voice major, enjoys the variety of pieces that the choir sings and plans to use her choir experience to one day have a role on Broadway.

“It’s also refreshing to go to choir after just leaving a hard class,” she said.

Aliya Gardea, a sophomore music therapy major, appreciates that music has brought together a variety of people from all different majors through the choir. Gardea has chosen her major to further her plans for working with children who have disabilities and helping them improve their lives.

“Our professor, Dr. [Sean] Pullen, is really great,” Gardea said. “Every day, we work hard and try to give 100 percent.”

Because of Dr. Pullen, junior music education major Holly Johnson said the choir has learned to work together and that his leadership has made a tremendous difference. She wants to someday become a director and inspire students as she has been inspired during her time at WT.

While the music itself is a lot of hard work according to Johnson, she said she loves the learning process and has developed a high standard for herself.

“Choir is simply an amazing experience,” Johnson said. “It is creating beautiful art and sharing something special.”