WT Ranked Among Top 10 Best Online Colleges in Texas

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University’s respected profile in online education has landed the University more statewide recognition.

Texas Online Colleges has ranked WT as No. 10 in its list of Best Online Colleges in Texas.

“Rankings like this show how we provide a high quality, economically feasible education to students all across Texas and, indeed, the world,” said University President Dr. Walter Wendler. “WT has been a pioneer in online education since 1997, and that long history of service in the online realm pays off for our students, in terms of academic excellence, affordability and flexibility.

“The high quality of WT’s faculty, staff and students is of primary importance as we continue to grow and evolve into a regional research university, the key precept of our long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World,” Wendler said.

The site is the only one focused on online and hybrid educational opportunities in the state.

We know that nearly 70 percent of online students enroll in schools within 45 miles of their homes. People want local schools they know and trust. People want to know they’re learning what matters where they live,” said TexasOnlineCollege.com outreach specialist Kelly Waller. “We believe all of this is best achieved by focusing on local options.

In its ranking, WT was cited for being the No. 6 most affordable online college in Texas and the No. 5 best-value online college in the state. WT’s ranking also takes into account the University’s veteran’s services, dual-credit opportunities for high school students and the number of online and hybrid undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees it offers.

This is only the most recent honor in a series of accolades. WT’s undergraduate elementary teacher preparation program has been named among the top in the country, and its online bachelor of nursing program was recently named one of the 10 best in the country. The University was ranked among the Top 10 safest campuses in the country and the safest in Texas, and the University Police Department was, for a second time, named a Recognized Law Enforcement Agency from the Texas Police Chiefs Association Foundation.

In more than 1,200 online programs surveyed by U.S. News & World Report this year, WT has, among Texas schools, the No. 1 online bachelor’s program, online bachelor’s programs for veterans, online MBA programs for veterans, online specialized graduate business program for veterans and online graduate information technology program. WT also ranks No. 2 for online specialized graduate business program and No. 4 for online MBA program, also among Texas schools.

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.

About Texas Online Colleges

Texas Online Colleges creates relationships between students and schools that let online students thrive. Using a combination of data from the federal government, the Texas state government, and AcademicInfluence.com, it focuses efforts on Texas colleges and universities online degree offerings, so Texas students can match with Texas universities that fit their needs and lifestyles.