CSAW to Host Dr. José Limón in Online Lecture Discussing ‘Streets of Laredo,’ Palo Duro Canyon

Contact: Dr. Alex Hunt, 806-651-2457, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas The Center for the Study of the American West (CSAW) will host renowned professor Dr. José Limón and his lecture “From the Streets of Laredo to the Palo Duro Canyon and other Texas Stories” online on Thursday, Oct. 29.

In this lecture, Limón will discuss the cultural influence and Hispanic heritage of the song “Streets of Laredo” as well as stories that relate to Palo Duro Canyon.

The lecture will be aired through a Facebook watch party on CSAW’s page at 7 p.m. Oct. 29 and will be followed by a Zoom Q&A session with Limón. The event is free and open to the public, and registration is required for the Q&A portion.

Dr. Alex Hunt, professor of English and director of CSAW, said this lecture offers something of interest to everyone.

“I have heard him give a version of this lecture before,” Hunt said, “and I can guarantee that it is intellectually rich, lively, and interesting.”

Limón, originally from South Texas, has recently retired after a distinguished career. He held the Boatright Professorship at UT Austin, where he taught Anthropology, Folklore, American Studies, and Literature. Limón then moved on to the University of Notre Dame, where he was professor of American Literature and Samora Endowed Professor in Latino Studies. Limón has published several books and numerous articles in his career, most centering on Mexican American culture, literature, and folklore of the American West. Limón is currently working on a project related to the Palo Duro Canyon.

“Some of the novels that Limón is talking about [in his project] are Larry McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove’ trilogy, one of which is titled Streets of Laredo,” Hunt said.

Hunt also spoke about how the song “Streets of Laredo” has played an important role in popular culture.

“The song has a rich history, from Irish ballad tradition, to Texas history, to pop culture,” Hunt said. “For example, the recent wonderful movie The Ballad of Buster Scruggs uses ‘Streets of Laredo’ as an important part of its soundtrack.”

For more information about the event and to register for the Q&A session, visit wtamu.edu/CSAW or email [email protected]. Links to the Zoom session will be sent to registrants on the day of the event.

CSAW’s mission of promoting research of the American West is in line with the University’s long-term goal of becoming a regional research university, as outlined in WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.

About the Center for the Study of the American West

CSAW was formed in the fall of 2016 with a mission of fostering the study of the American West at West Texas A&M University and building bridges between the University, the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, and the regional populace. CSAW seeks to promote the American West both as a culturally unique region and a product of broad historical forces. For more information about CSAW and all upcoming events, please visit wtamu.edu/CSAW.