WT Design Students Craft Get-Out-the-Vote Messages

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University graphic design students are making their mark on election season.

Students in Marcus Melton’s Graphic Design 2 class designed three posters each that remind the audience to vote Nov. 3.

“It’s important for our students to experience using their talents and skillset for the good of the community,” said Melton, associate professor of graphic design. “AIGA, the professional association for design, encourages such engagement through its Design for Good initiative. By taking part in this Design for Democracy exercise, students can learn what it’s like to support an organization and then apply that to causes they are passionate about.”

That’s appealing for students like Kristen Baker, a senior graphic design major from Borger.

I believe that putting out the message to vote is important because voting is incredibly important. Even if we think our choices don’t have an impact, they do. Going out and voting can make all the difference,” Baker said. “I like the idea of the design for good mentality because it shows me that as an artist, I can have an impact on people by what I create.

Posters are hanging in the lobby of Mary Moody NorthenRecital Hall, where Melton hopes they’ll have an impact.

“We’re not promoting any specific party or candidate with these posters,” Melton said. “We’re just trying to reinforce the importance of voting in a healthy democracy, especially among our student population.”

A focus on community life is a key component of the University’s long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

About West Texas A&M University

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.