Students clean campus: Homecoming preparations begin

October 2 is WTAMU’s annual Work-A-Thon, the campus cleanup the week before homecoming.

Work-A-Thon is the first event that kicks off a week full of events around campus that ultimately lead to the Saturday night game. Each year students, professors, faculty, friends and anyone who wants gather together to clean the campus and have it looking at its best.

Austin Bagwell, a junior Broadcasting major plans to attend Work-A-Thon again this year. He will be supporting KWTS and Guenther Hall.

He will support not only his organizations, but also WT.

“[Last year] it was fun, everybody got together and being able to hang out while giving back to WT,” said Bagwell. Organizations encourage their members to help out on Saturday. Organizations also raise money for Work-A- Thon. The organization keeps 75% of the money collected, 20 percent goes towards the Work-A-Thon event and the remaining 5 percent goes towards the organizations charity of choice.

Tarah Groomer, a junior Advertising and Public Relations major plans participate in Work-A-Thon this Saturday also.

“I will be participating in WT’s Work-A-Thon this year. It is a great way to get to know people and feel good about helping the community,“ Groomer said. “I plan to raise money on and off campus to help support the Eternal Flame.”

Work-A-Thon begins Saturday morning at 9 a.m. and last until noon. Students will register for the different organizations they represent and then each organization will be given a place around campus or off campus to clean up.