Out of this world Centennial speakers

Lovell James. Photo courtesy of Rana McDonald at wtamu.edu.

WTAMU will conclude its centennial celebration Nov. 12 with two special speakers brought in to commemorate the University’s 100 years.

Commander James Lovell and Flight Director Gene Kranz will be the keynote speakers at the event. Both men are most famous for their involvement with NASA’s Apollo 13 mission.

On April 11, 1970 Apollo 13 was launched towards the moon. The trip was cut short when an oxygen tank ruptured forcing the spacecraft to return to Earth. On board Apollo 13 were Commander James Lovell, Command Module Pilot John Swigert and Lunar Module pilot Fred Haise.

On earth, Flight Director Gene Kranz, along with his team, had to work hard to get the crew back safely. The crew made it back to Earth on April 17.

“We wanted to make sure that we chose speakers who were respected and had interesting things to say to our students and the community at large,” Dr. Amy Andersen, associate professor of education, said.

The centennial convocation committee choose the astronauts because they felt that they would be able to show the students valuable lessons.

“We felt that Lovell and Kranz could talk about the kind of teamwork and problem solving skills still needed when a crisis arises,” she said.

Lovell and Kranz will both speak about the successful failure of the Apollo 13 mission and how they had to work as a team in order to get the crew back to earth.

“They will emphasize how the team in space and the team on the ground had to work together to solve the problems they encountered so that the astronauts would be able to come home,” Andersen said.

A special centennial convocation committee organized the event as a closing celebration for WT’s centennial celebration. This year is also the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission.

“The centennial convocation committee has been planning this for at least a year and a half,” Tim Vela, student body president, said.

The centennial convocation will be Friday, Nov. 12 at the First United Bank Center at 7 p.m. Dr. O’Brien will give a brief welcome and the WT symphony will play a musical selection. All WT students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend the free event. The event is also open to the general public.