Panhandle AIDS Support Organization donates funds

The scholarship winners pose on the runway. Photo by Frankie Sanchez.

The National Broadcasting Society (NBS) students helped the Panhandle AIDS Support Organization (PASO) host a major fundraiser Nov. 13.  Four of the students were awared scholarships for their hard work setting up and working the fundraiser.

Two anonymous donors made these four scholarships possible.  PASO normally awards only one scholarship to a WT student at the PASO Turnabout.

Lane Formby, Wilson Lemieux, Holly Jennings and Jake Wyers received the scholarships.  These students were singled out for their hard work.

“It’s really cool,” Formby said.  “I didn’t even know there was [a scholarship] until they called my name.”

KWTS, 91.1 F.M., has been working with PASO for the last 19 years.  Andy Justus,  currently an anchor for KAMR, suggested that KWTS partner with PASO while he was a student. 

Erica Proctor, NBS member, was incharge of organizing students to help at the event.

“We signed up in NBS,” Formby said.  “The more stuff we go to, the better chance we have of going to L.A. next year.”

Lemieux is a freshman at WT and was very excited to win a scholarship.

“It was amazing,” Lemieux said.  “I knew how hard you had to work to get it.”

PASO helps local families impacted by AIDS.  The Turnabout event is their largest fundraiser of the year.

“I think it’s great that that money goes to kids and families who can do anything because of AIDS,” Lemieux said.  “I think there should be more organizations like this everywhere.”

Maroon Productions was also at the event to help broadcast the event. Students who worked the Turnabout worked at positions that varied as waiter and camera operator, but they were all their to help support PASO’s cause.

Last Updated: 11/20/2010