WT offers a variety of workout classes

The West Texas A&M Virgil Henson Activities Center offers students many different workout options including free fitness classes. The Shape-Up division plays a large role in WT’s Fitness program by giving students the chance to get in shape or stay in shape through a variety of group classes.

“In a workout room some people are self conscious and do not like working out by themselves so they avoid working out or are not sure which exercise machines they should use to get the kind of workout they want,” Hannah Hopkins, Sports and Exercise Science major, said. “Exercise classes are a great idea.”

Some options include kickboxing, bootcamp, water aerobics, Shoto Kan Karate, body resistance and Zumba class. Bootcamp is an intense workout class designed to push the body to its limit by forcing the participant to do a series of exercises without rest. In the body resistance workout class, participants use their own body weight to create a resistance to work out the body and increase fitness levels. Zumba is a dance fitness class that incorporates a large range of dance styles and targets every major muscle group in the body.

Zumba has quickly become a popular workout across the nation and amongst college students.

“The combination of Latin music and aerobics gives you energy that you wouldn’t get from another workout, and having the convenience of the various times it’s offered and the location here at WT makes it a perfect fit for students,” Carolina Dender, Business Administration graduate student, said.

It differs from the typical routine of a workout by adding upbeat music and various dance moves.

“It began mainly as Latin but has branched out into different kinds of music now,” said Stephanie Hall, certified fitness instructor who teaches bootcamp, kickboxing, body resistance and Zumba classes at WT.

The goal of Zumba classes is to create a fun atmosphere to workout in.

“It was invented by a man named Beto Perez who wanted exercising to be more fun,” Hall said.

Students at WT are responding well to the class and it is rising in popularity.

“My favorite part about the class is that I haven’t met anyone yet that, if they come for at least three classes, they don’t like it,” Hall said. “It is very addicting and a great and fun workout if you really let loose.”

Students can choose among these many classes to fit their needs. No matter the fitness level of the person there is a class for everyone.

“And anybody can take the class (Zumba), you don’t have to have dance experience of any sorts because we add new material every couple of weeks so we are all learning together,”  Hall said.

Many of the classes are set up to help teach and guide beginners and do not require students to be experts in order to join.

The classes are open to students and all members of the Virgil Henson Activities Center. All participants must fill out the proper paperwork to participate. Classes are free for students. It is $45 per class for WT faculty and staff, and it costs community members $60 per class. For more information contact Elosia Reyna at 806-651-2323.