WTAMU offers students GRE prep courses

Cracking the GRE. Courtesy of Creative Commons.org.
Students preparing to attend graduate school have a few difficult steps to take before they can begin to work on their master’s degree. Certain requirements are needed to get into graduate school and an important one includes the General Records Examination (GRE).

The GRE is a standardized test that is an admission requirement for many graduate schools. It is administered by the Educational Testing Service of Princeton, New Jersey. Generally, it is a computer-based exam but print versions are available in certain geographic locations where needed. The cost of the exam can vary from $160 to $210 depending on different factors such as location and circumstances. The typical components of the GRE include verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and analytical writing.

“It’s not testing all this knowledge you gained in your entire college education”,  Kristina Drumheller, Communications assistant professor, said. “It’s not going to cover your major. What it is really meant to do, what we’re hoping, is that it has predictive value of your ability in graduate school.”

WTAMU offers students the chance to partake in GRE prep courses that allow them to practice and review for the exam. It cost $100 to attend four classes that are three hours each. Two of the classes focus on the quantitative aspects of the test and the other two classes review the analytical and writing portions of the exam. A book and other supplemental material are given to students who take the prep courses.

“GRE scores are important to graduate schools during their admissions process,” Reanne Campsey, Graduate Student Association president and Communications graduate student, said. “You are doing a disservice to your very valuable time and to your hard earned money if you do not take the time to prepare for this test.”

The GRE prep course instructors are very knowledgeable about the exam and its components in order to help students do their best to prepare.

“Taking the GRE prep course is very helpful because the instructors have a great deal of extremely helpful information about taking the test and they can help you reason through the difficult questions that you encounter while studying,” Campsey said.

The GRE prep courses helps students by providing them with a better idea of what the exam will be like and what kinds of questions it might include. It reviews the general set-up of the test and its instructions.

“Obviously the material is going to be different when you get into the test but having the exposure and experience to the types of questions that are asked is valuable to you,” Drumheller said. “You want the spend the time to really figure out the answers to the questions and not all your time reading the instructions.”

Campbell found the classes very helpful when preparing for the exam.

“I had not taken a math class in several years, and it helped to have a person to answer any questions I had,” Campsey said. “I also learned a lot of strategies for taking the GRE.”

Students can check out the WT website to sign up for the GRE prep courses and can locate the GRE website to register to take the GRE. Students can contact the graduate school for more information.