Theater Department opens “The Children’s Hour”

Singer Forrest Kline performs at Homecoming. Photo by Alex Montoya.

The WTAMU theatre department is featuring a production of Lillian Hellman’s “The Children’s Hour” at the Happy State Bank Studio Theater. The play opened on Oct. 7 and will continue until Oct. 15.

The play is directed by Stephen Crandall, assistant professor of theatre.

“The play is about an all-girls boarding school in New England in the 1930´s,” Crandall said. “Two women, in their late 20´s, establish a rural boarding school that was converted from an old farmhouse.”

The play’s protagonist is named Mary, who feels like she is mistreated and punished unnecessarily; therefore, she wants to leave school and takes it upon herself to leave the school without permission.

Mary (Kaylie DeLauri) threatens to expose Rosalie’s (Kara Jones) secret. Photo by Alex Montoya.

“But with the help of her classmates who overhear a conversation between some of the adults, Mary fabricates a devastating lie about the headmistresses of the school,” Crandall said. “She then proceeds to convincing her grandmother that this lie is true.”

The grandmother then takes drastic measures to make other parents aware of Mary’s lie. Parents start to pull out their kids from school and the headmistresses defend themselves.

“Inevitably, [the headmistress] file a lawsuit,” Crandall said. “At the end of the play, you get to witness what has become of the whole ordeal that started with one lie. It’s a poignant play of false accusations.”

Crandall said it is a very well-written piece that sends a strong message and is still relevant to our society today.

“I feel like everything is going to go well,” stage manager Emily Johnson said. “I’m excited and nervous. I got spoiled with such a great cast, they are all professional and they all get along very well.”

Johnson said that students should come see the play to support their school, to have a good time, and to see a great production.

“It’s a great play,” freshman Marisa Quist said. “I recommend for the students at WT to go see it. It has a talented cast and it has a really good plot.”

The play starts at 7:30 p.m. and is free for all WT students. Tickets cost $8 for senior citizens and children under 12, and $11 to the public.