Dance department showcases Falling in to Dance

From Dec. 1-3, the WTAMU Dance department will present its annual fall show called “Falling Into Dance.”

It’s the sixth year I’ve directed it,” Leslie Meek, director of the Dance program, said. “But this recital has been going on since 2003.”

According to Meek, there will be about 30 performers dancing on stage.
“Students should come and see it,” she said. “The dance program needs support and it enriches the community.”

Senior Dance major Vanessa McKay said that attending the recital is a good way to inmerse in to a visual art that’s not shown much and is not common around the area.

“We’ve been preparing for this recital since the end of August,” said McKay. “I feel like we’re very prepared.”

McKay and other Dance seniors choreographed this semester’s “Falling into Dance” performance as their senior project.

“There’s one performance every semester,” she said. “But the recital for the spring semester will be choreographed by a guest artist and by the faculty.”

Audience members will see different syles of dance including modern, hip-hop, musical theater, jazz among others.

Nikki Blankenship, choreographer of ‘Desipulation’, said she has been preparing for the show since August.

“I am exited about my cosumes,” she said. “I gave more room to creativity , but the hard part is the constraints that are put on the choreographers to enhance our finish work.”
The recital will be held at Happy State Bank Studio at the Sybil B. Harrington Fine Arts Complex at 7:30 p.m. It will be free for all WT students with a Buff ID present.
Tickets for the show can be reserved by calling the WT Box office at (806) 651- 2804.