Communication Week presents “WT’s Got Talent”

WTAMU's Got Talent. Logo courtesy of Comm Week 2012.

WTAMU’s Communication Department will be holding Communication Week  2012from Feb. 20-23. The theme chosen for this year is “WTAMU’s Got Talent”. The annual series of events will run Monday through Thursday with each day having different activities, including a guest speaker.

“The week showcases the fantastic work in our departments and contributions by our graduates locally, nationally and internationally,” Dr. Hannah Oliha, associate professor of Communication, said.

This year’s honored speaker is Liz Murray. Murray is a New York Times best seller for her memoir “Breaking Night,” which tells of her experience of homelessness and journey to Harvard University. She is also the founder and director of Manifest Living. The presentation by Murray will be on Feb. 21 at 7:00 p.m. in the Mary Moody Northern Recital Hall.In addition to the guest speaker, Communication Week will include “How Much Do You Know?” a game show featuring Communication faculty. It will be held on Feb. 20 at noon in the Fine Arts Complex Recital Hall.

On Feb. 22, six teams of Mass Communication and Communication majors will participate in Project Runway in which teams will design outfits for faculty to model. The event will take place at noon in the FAC foyer.

To conclude Communication Week 2012, a joint Table Talk and Communication Showcase will take place on Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. in the AT&T High Definition Studio. Six Communication and Mass Communication alumni will eat dinner and have open conversation with students. Following the dinner, the showcase will put the talents of Mass Communication and Communication students in the spotlight.  The showcase will be available to the public by WTTV telecast.

“[Communication Week] allows unity between the two departments, Mass Communications and Communication, by working and creating together,” Dr. Trudy Hanson, head of the Department of Communication, said.

Julia Greif, Advertising and Public Relations major, said she thinks of Communication Week as a nice break in the semester.

“It’s a good way to network with the department, professors, alumni and get extra credit all at once while having a great experience,” said Grief.

T-shirts for Communication Week are being sold in the FAC 103 for $10.