Wine to Water’s WT chapter raises $1,500 at concert

Jessi Bangs, Reporter

On Friday, Feb. 5 WT’s own chapter of Wine to Water held a fundraising concert featuring Tyler Adams as the opener and Shotgun Rider as the headliner. Wine to Water is a non-profit organization that fights the global water crisis by repairing wells and building new wells around the world.

Alfredo Rosendo, junior Mechanical Engineering major, is the founder of WT’s Wine to Water chapter.  In the 2013-2014 academic year, Rosendo was chosen after writing freshman reader essay over “Wine to Water: How One Man Saved Himself While Trying to Save the World,” by Doc Hendley, to go on a trip to Uganda. Upon returning from this trip, Rosendo said he was touched. He then founded the WT chapter of Wine to Water.

“I wanted to do something to help. We had passion, fire, and drive inside of us and we went at it full heart” Rosendo said.

In its first year at WT, the group gained 40 members and went on to win organization of the year in 2015. Currently, they have a total of 60 members with approximately 30 of those being active. Jolynn Rider, Health Science major, has been with Wine to Water for a year and a half.

“I’ve always wanted to do things to help other people”, Rider said. “I really just stand behind what Wine to Water does. It hits my heart because something we take for granted, they don’t have access to.”

In addition to Uganda, Rosendo has been to the Amazon, Colombia, Peru and Brazil repairing and building wells to insure the inhabitants there have clean water.

Wine to Water currently has a trip to Honduras planned for May of 2016.

Adalise Berg, Nursing major, has only been with Wine to Water for a semester, but says she is eager to help others as part of this great cause.

The group have had fundraising concerts in the past, but after raising $1,500 for their trip, this was said to be the most successful event yet. The chapter set a goal of $1,200 and members and attendees alike were overjoyed when that goal was surpassed. There are also concerts and shows like the Hamilton show in Idaho that one can get tickets to.

The concert began with WT’s own Tyler Adams playing both his own original songs along with well-known covers. The crowd even requested an encore of a fun song he wrote about Canyon/WT life.

After Adam’s performance each chair member of Wine to Water took a moment to share their gratitude for the support and large crowd turn out to support their cause.

Shotgun Rider is a self described Country Rock band, with members hailing from local towns Dimmit and Nazareth, Texas. The band even had their single “Alone Tonight” featured on ABC’s Nashville in late 2015. Lead singer Logan Samford has powerful yet smooth vocals, that are perfectly in sync with Anthony Enriquez, lead guitarist and main songwriter’s, lyrics. Shotgun Rider puts on a high energy show and a fun stage presence while maintaining the down to earth, relatable vibes of all great Texas Country bands.

“We’re happy to be a part of helping this cause out. From a concert in canyon to ultimately saving lives thousands of miles away. We are good friends with some of the people in the organization and we see all of the work they do for this cause on social media. We’re amazed by their passion and dedication. They’re genuinely great people doing great things and we’re glad we could help”, Shotgun Rider said via email.

Everyone in attendance was in good feelings that night, both having helped raise $1500 for Wine to Water, and gotten to two-step the night away to both Tyler Adams and Shotgun Rider.

“We are primarily a student organization but we encourage and welcome anyone in the community to join us, either to help out in the community or go on trips with us. The more members the better. Even if you are a little curious, come try us out and see what we’re about. Everyone is welcome.” Rosendo said. Rider added, “We aren’t just an organization, We are a family.”

Wine to Water meets every thursday at 5:30 p.m. in white room 37.