POEM is open to all majors

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

The Professional Organization of English Majors (POEM) is one of the lesser-known organizations on campus. Although it was founded for English majors, they are open to students of all majors. In the past year, POEM has not had many events, but this fall they have gone in a new direction. They have six events planned for the fall semester.

The first event, held on Sept. 18, is a writing workshop on how to do introductions and conclusions.  It will be led by Dr. Jeffery Doty in room 316 of the Classroom Center from 4-5 p.m.  The president of POEM, senior English major Halee Cross, said the new energy in POEM will give people a “chance to socialize outside of the class and explore creative media.”

It has been a tradition of POEM’s to show different types of movies that are meant to inspire discussion. The first film of the fall semester is going to be Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris.  It will be shown on Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. in CC 316.  Haley Clevenger, a junior English major, said she is “excited that POEM is doing things again” and is “looking forward to the workshops.”

The POEM officers want WTAMU students to know this is an organization that is not just for English majors.

“The three workshops were based on their value to students,” Shae Crawford, senior English major and secretary of POEM, said.

Anyone who is interested in participating in any of the free workshops or movie nights can find more information on the English, Philosophy and Modern Language page on the WT website under upcoming events.