Collecting Art History

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

Collecting Art History: Taste on the Southern Plains” is a unique gallery that was curated by WTAMU assistant professor of Art History Amy Von Lintel, Panhandle Plains Historical Museum Associate Director for Curatorial Affairs, Curator of Art Michael Grauer and PPHM Member Elly Mons.

“This gallery is western by collector rather than subject,” Von Lintel said.

West Texas ranchers donated each of the works in the gallery to the PPHM and all of the artwork shown is dated from 1880 to 1950.

“These collectors brought European culture to a new area” Von Lintel said.

The works in the gallery have ties to older art work in Europe.  There are European designs that are also on the porcelain works displayed in the gallery, such as miniature pictures of Napoleon, Marie Antoinette and the Virgin Mary.  Yet, ranchers in West Texas collected this artwork.

“This gallery is a true broad picture,” Grauer said.  He said it illustrates through the artwork how the collectors’ tastes changed as West Texas artists became more prominent.

Assistant Professor of English Bonnie Roos is teaching a modernism course this semester. She said she wants her students to understand “how it confirms and critiques the world we live in.”

“With the artwork in this gallery being in dialogue with European art, it is a chance for students to see how major artists influence Texas arts,” said Roos.

This gallery is open from September 15, 2012 until February 16, 2013.